Greg’s story is so inspiring, but it’s even more powerful when you know “the rest of the story.” Here it is, briefly summarized, in his own words:
- I started using drugs to mask the pain that I felt from being exposed to sexual abuse when I was young. That made me feel isolated, like I wasn’t a part of the world or other kids my age.
- The first time I got drunk was in 4th grade.
- I moved on to hard drugs when I was about 12 years old—methamphetamine, acid and cocaine—starting in 6th grade.
- My oldest brother, whom I loved to death, died from an OxyContin and methadone overdose.
- My other brother actually found his body after some time. That brother eventually ended up taking his own life too because he couldn’t come to terms with that loss and what he saw that day.
- My father eventually succumbed to his alcoholism and passed away.
- My mother eventually took her own life as well.
- I definitely attempted to take my own life many times by overdosing and only by the grace of God did I ever live through that.
Only God could transform such tragic losses into the infectious joy that Greg now has. And Greg’s transformation was possible because your gift allowed Teen Challenge to introduce him to Jesus and his life-changing power. See his amazing story here.